JUMP Math offers intensive 2-day workshops designed to give participants a deeper understanding of how to teach math effectively. Whether you’re new to JUMP Math or have used it for a long time, our Managers of Outreach & Teacher Support will show you how our carefully designed instructional resources support recent discoveries in cognitive science. And help you discover some methods to engage all of your students in learning mathematics, eradicate math anxiety and encourage all students to reach their full potential.
You will develop:
- A strong foundation in the JUMP Math approach to teaching and learning math from grades 1 to 8
- The knowledge and tools to effectively plan a comprehensive school year of mathematics instruction and student assessment
- Strategies to reach every learner in your class
- A deep understanding of how to engage your whole class in confidence-building, success-based and scaffolded math instruction
JUMP Math is founded on the belief that all children can learn math and all teachers can become experts in the subject. JUMP Math has developed an evidence-based approach to instruction, called "guided discovery," that will help you nurture the potential in every student.
This 2-day workshop will show you:
- How to use JUMP Math's Teacher Resources to raise levels of student engagement, boost confidence, close the gap between students and instill a deep understanding and love of math in your students.
- Focus on how to make math simpler by breaking down concepts. We will tackle problem solving as a topic.
- New research in cognitive science shows that students are more likely to become engaged and successful problem solvers if the teacher breaks challenges into well-scaffolded steps and gives continuous feedback and adequate practice and review.
- How to raise the bar incrementally, teachers can help students learn to persevere so they can eventually tackle more complex problems independently.
- How to use JUMP Math materials to teach effective problem solving strategies such as using systematic search, making models and diagrams, making simper versions of a problem and using patterns.
Want Professional Development In Your School?
If there is sufficient interest in your school district, arrangements can be made to have a JUMP Math Outreach Manager provide professional development for your group. Prices vary according to location and number of teachers. Please contact Noreen McLean for more details.
Discounts and Payment
When you register, you have the opportunity to order one set of grade-specific student Assessment and Practice books at the discounted price of $14 plus GST and one printed, binder-ready version of a grade-specific Teacher Resource package at the discounted price of $73.50 plus GST. This discount is only available up to one week before the workshop. We recommend that you pay online when you register. However, if you do pay by cheque, please indicate which workshop you are attending and mail it to: JUMP Math, One Yonge Street, Suite 1014, Toronto, ON M5E 1E5. Please do not bring your cheque to the workshop.