New Canadian Editions
JUMP Math has begun a major project to create new editions of JUMP Math resources, as well as to add a Kindergarten offering, for the first time. Grade 3 is already available and Kindergarten will be ready in April 2017.
Key features include:
- Lesson design that encompasses the broad developmental range in kindergarten
- Careful scaffolding of material, continuous assessment of student learning, and bonus questions and extensions throughout
- Detailed, flexible lesson plans that include whole-class instruction and activities, as well as a variety of activity centres for easy differentiation
- The introductory unit includes games and activities designed to teach pre-math skills while easing the transition to school
- Simple, clear language in the student Assessment & Practice Books, that can be read by the teacher or by early readers
- Assessment checklists with “look-fors” for formative assessment and suggested activities for summative assessment
- A table of contents that shows which lessons to teach to cover the curriculum requirements for Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Ontario
Sample lessons of our Canadian Edition Kindergarten program are available here.
JUMP Math is pleased to announce that we have published a new Canadian Edition of our Grade 3 teacher and student resources for the 2016-2017 school year.
Here are the key improvements we have made:
- Revised lessons that cover the new British Columbia curriculum, as well as the Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario curricula
- Improved Teacher Resource (TR) navigational tools, including a full table of contents showing which lessons to teach to cover your provincial curriculum requirements
- Improved lesson plan format and content, with teacher prompts and lots of student exercises, bonus questions, and extensions
- Improved student Assessment & Practice (AP) Book format and content, with larger, clearer type and less text
- Additional focus on mental math in the TR and in the AP Book
- Additional quizzes and tests for each TR unit, in four versions tailored to the curriculum standards for British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario
Sample lessons from the new Canadian Edition Grade 3 TR and AP Books are available here.
New books can be ordered now from the University of Toronto Press, using the updated order form which may be downloaded here. Existing 2009 Edition Grade 3 resources will remain available during the 2016-2017 school year.
JUMP Math at the Manhattan Charter School
The Manhattan Charter School saw the biggest improvement in state math scores in New York City in 2014, the year it adopted JUMP Math for its fourth grade students. Journalist David Bornstein, who wrote a two-part series on JUMP Math for The New York Times, led an engaging panel discussion about what makes our “guided discovery” approach different, how teachers at the school feel it works, and why it matters for their low-income students.
- Jason Zimba, Founding Partner, Student Achievement Partners and a lead author of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
- Harriet Fayne, Dean, School of Education, Lehman College - CUNY
- Melanie Greene, Teacher, Manhattan Charter School
- John Mighton, Founder, JUMP Math
New York City-based journalists, donors, and supporters joined us for the panel and two demo lessons including Andrea Johnson, Head of US Financial Education at TD Bank, which is a longtime supporter of JUMP Math in both Canada and the U.S.