Summer Professional Development Opportunities
We are offering a great list of one and two-day workshops across Canada! Join us to talk about improving skills, integrating mental math, and teaching problem solving (amongst other essential topics). Also, introductory webinars are being offered to accommodate your busy schedule so can join us from wherever you are! View our full calendar here.
Getting Ready for September
As you prepare for September, let members of the Outreach and Teacher Support Team at JUMP Math lighten and brighten your load! In our 1-hour webinars, we will highlight key structures and strategies that “guide discovery” and inspire confident engagement with math learning in a responsive classroom.
Getting Ready for Kindergarten Math
The JUMP Math “Getting Ready for Kindergarten Math” Unit is your introduction to our carefully designed “road map” for foundational math thinking and exploration. Let us support your efforts to begin to co-construct math-friendly daily classroom rituals and active practice opportunities. This is where your journey along a clear pathway to interactive and joyful math learning starts!
Getting Ready for Grades 1-3
Inspire confidence, strengthen foundational math skills, and encourage engagement in your Primary classroom by beginning with carefully crafted, inclusive math practices. Let JUMP Math help you explore the strategic skill development that builds new connections and deepens those connections incrementally.
Getting Ready for Grades 4-6
Begin the year in your Junior classroom with engaging and interactive learning opportunities designed to strengthen the development of math skills and conceptual understanding. Let JUMP Math help you improve student outcomes as you explore the frameworks that develop mathematically fluent problem solvers.
Getting Ready for Grades 7-8
In these critical “transition” years, it is vital to bolster confidence, strengthen computational fluency and mastery, and motivate independent mathematical decision making. Let JUMP Math help you plan engaging, interactive math learning through guided exploration, varied practice, and immediate feedback.
New Canadian Editions
In 2016, JUMP Math undertook a major project to create new editions of our Grade 1-8 resources, starting with Grade 3, and to add a Kindergarten offering for the first time. The new resources for Grade 3, Kindergarten, and Grades 1 and 2 are all available now, and the new resources for Grades 4 and 6 and a French edition of the new student books for Grade 3 will be published for the 2018-2019 school year. Expanded editions of the 2009 Edition Teacher Resources for Grades 5, 7, and 8 are also available now, until major revisions of those grades are released.
New Canadian Edition PowerPoint Digital Lesson Slides, as well as SMART Digital Lesson Slides, for Grades 1 and 2 are now available from our online store. Please note that as of January 1, 2018, the 2009 Edition Grades 1 and 2 AP Books in English are no longer available for purchase.
French translations of the New Canadian Edition AP Books for Grade 3 will be available on June 30, 2018, and can be pre-ordered now from University of Toronto Press Distribution, using an updated French Resources order form which may be downloaded here.
JUMP Math is publishing the new Canadian Edition of our Grades 4 and 6 teacher and student resources for the 2018-2019 school year. Part 1 of the Teacher Resources (TRs) and the Assessment & Practice (AP) Books will be available on July 31, 2018, and Part 2 of the TRs and AP Books will be available on November 30, 2018.
Here are the key improvements we have made:
- Revised lessons that cover the new British Columbia curriculum, as well as the Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario curricula
- Problem-Solving Lessons that focus on a range of problem-solving strategies and include extensive problems for practising each strategy
- Extended problems that provide challenging opportunities for students to use problem-solving strategies to solve multi-part problems
- Improved TR navigational tools, including a full table of contents showing which lessons to teach to cover your provincial curriculum requirements
- Improved lesson plan format and content, with simplified activities requiring fewer materials and less preparation time, lots of individual student exercises, and extensions
- Shorter units that create diversity of content and ensure that prior knowledge is done first
- Greater focus on the most fundamental topics at each grade level
- Additional focus on mental math in the TR, including number talks to develop communication skills and flexible strategies
- New quizzes and tests for each TR unit, in four versions tailored to the curriculum standards for British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario
Sample lessons from the new Canadian Edition Grades 4 and 6 TRs and AP Books will soon be available here.
New Canadian Edition Grades 4 and 6 books can be pre-ordered now from University of Toronto Press Distribution, using an updated order form which may be downloaded here.
New Canadian Edition Grades 4 and 6 Quizzes & Tests for each of BC, AB, MB, and ON can be pre-ordered now and will be available in print on August 31, 2018, for Part 1 and on January 15, 2019, for Part 2, and for download here (PDF and Word formats).
For the new Canadian Editions for Grades 4 and 6, SMART Digital Lesson Slides will be available in August 2018 for Part 1 and January 2019 for Part 2, and PowerPoint Digital Lesson Slides will be available in September 2018 for Part 1 and February 2019 for Part 2, from our online store.
- Problem-Solving Lessons that focus, in 10 or 11 lessons per grade, on a range of problem-solving strategies and include extensive problems for practising each strategy
- Extended problems that provide challenging opportunities, in 3 extended problems per grade, for students to use problem-solving strategies to solve multi-part problems
- For Grades 7-8, improved and expanded quizzes and tests that cover all of the required curriculum material in every unit